We Like Bikes: It was pretty good!
After six months of planning, We Like Bikes finally happened on Sunday May 20. It didn’t go horribly wrong. Hooray!
My favourite bits:
- Simon the unicyclist making balloon animals for a huge group of very excited children.
- Turnstyle’s bike bus (pictured above) touring up and down the bikeway.
- Random cyclist groups appearing to check things out, including the Griffith University Bicycle Users Group.
- Nearby residents watching the bands from their balconies. I was scared they’d come down and complain about the noise, until they started taking photos and applauded after the songs!
- An older lady with Miss BB Le Buff’s School of Performance whose act was 60s go-go dancing.
- Vulcana Women’s Circus performing with their Group Bike - three girls dressed as ninjas on a stunt bike doing cool martial arts moves.
- A little boy bopping up and down in a very serious fashion to Greshka.
- Apparently a passing CityCat stopped to watch the bands.
- A family stopped to watch Wayward Smith and they had a puppy and I played with the puppy. PUPPY!
- A lady dressed in a polka-dotted pink dress with pink sunglasses and a customised pink retro bike. We gave her the prize for best bike of the day.
- Favourite moment: The group bike performing around Greshka - an upbeat gypsy folk band - with the bike bus stopped nearby, and a large group of cyclists laughed and clapped from their bikes. It was a perfect moment, like a tiny mad circus had suddenly appeared on the bikeway
I’ve made a Flickr group that you can join and add photos to if you were there on the day - hopefully more will be added over the next few weeks.
Thanks everyone for their support. I couldn’t have done it without you!